A full recording of this panel is available on YouTube. View it here.
On May 16th, FOSI hosted a webinar on international online safety policy as part of its FOSI Briefs the Hill series. The expert panel included:
- Asha Allen, Center for Democracy and Technology, Brussels
- Charlotte Aynsley, Digital Safeguarding Consultant, UK
- Landon Klein, California State Assembly’s Committee on Privacy and Consumer Protection, US
- Andrew Zack, FOSI (Moderator)
The panelists discussed current policy efforts to improve online safety including the Digital Services Act in the EU, the Age Appropriate Design Code and Online Safety Bill in the UK, and the Age-Appropriate Design Code Act in California. Beyond these policy proposals, the conversation touched on the importance of age assurance, thoughtful considerations in the ed tech and student privacy space, establishing privacy and human rights as a baseline policy, recommendations for Congress, and how to account for future technologies in present-day policies.
The following resources were shared during this panel discussion:
- Digital Futures Commission
Embedding children’s rights in data-driven education systems
- FOSI Policy Briefs
Creating an Age Appropriate design Code in California
Stephen Balkam, FOSI's Founder & CEO, opened the discussion.