When I was a teen, I longed for an online community that could provide me with encouragement and support from people my age to help me with navigating my teenage years. Still, what I really craved was something that offered a deeper connection… something that offered more when it came to inspiring me to reach my full potential… and something that truly inspired me.
In the age of social media, I realized what I really wanted was to create a positive space in which young people (from teens to young adults) could connect as well as uplift each other with writing, sharing content that they created on any topic of their interest. The only rule was that the content could not be derogatory or degrading. I finally decided to act on my idea by creating a social journalism network called, RIZZARR. Through RIZZARR, I hope young people can realize that regardless of their age or circumstances, they can use their lives to make an impact.
But, some people may not really understand what it takes to be positive online or even the need for it. I can understand these. With all of the negativity being disseminated, it’s easy to feel like we all should just post or write whatever is on our mind- without any regard to how it could impact another person. After all, we are just one person, right? Could we really make such an impact? Well, in fact, you can.
Rules for Being Kind Online
When it comes to being kind online and generating more positivity, every word that gets out there can influence someone – every single word – in a good way or bad way. So let’s change this to only focus on positivity. I have come up with some rules that I think we all should follow:
- Make the commitment to yourself. Decide to make a promise to yourself that you will not engage in anything negative online. You alone can make an impact with your words. With one less person not being kind online with their words, positive change can begin.
- Highlight and spread positive content online that you find or become aware from someone. The way to create more positivity online is to generate it. By generating it around, the more people will begin to become aware of it and share it. You can be an influencer of positivity.
- Talk about what you see. By talking about to others in your networks about what you are coming across online, you will cause people to become more aware of the negativity and how things need to change. Maybe they are in a position to change it or maybe they have a create way of changing it. You never know.
- Encourage young people and your peers to not take the time to read or promote negative content. This in itself can inspire action from others to help eradicate negativity online. From this, companies may stop writing negative content and others may stop spreading it if they see that no one is reading it. Every action has a consequence!
- Be kind to whoever you interact with online. You never know what someone is going through in their life. Therefore, always think twice before you say anything or post anything online. Remember, the things you say online can remain there forever and they can also remain in someone’s mind forever. So be very careful about your words and the impact you are generating online.
So… in a world in which there is so much negativity, I believe each of us can eradicate it with positivity. In fact, I want RIZZARR to tap into the positivity for young people. I realize that it may not be easy, but I believe that all things are possible. We as a company believe that every person in the world has a responsibility to make our Internet more positive, and to create the world that we believe is possible. I hope you will join our team in spreading the word about our new platform and that you will support us in this endeavor.
Remember, all it takes is you to make an impact. Generate it.
Cover image courtesy of Flickr